Takehisa Kadota is an associate professor at the Department of Culture and Tourism, Rikkyo University. He received his PhD from the University of Tokyo in 2011 by an ethnographic study of religious tourism in modern Japan. Kadota’s research is situated at the intersection of cultural anthropology and contemporary folklore studies(ethnology) with special concerns as follows:
- Research on a “post-secular” situation and contemporary religion in Japan: Specifically, he is conducting research on development policies, infrastructure, and commercialization of sacred sites in postwar Okinawa.
- Rebuilding Folklore studies through comparative research: Exploring the issues and possibilities of small, local folklore museums, methodological research on “narrative”, and theoretical construction of “posthuman” perspective in folklore studies.
- Action research on the cultural movements in the rural area with an applied ethnographic method.
- Apr, 2004 – Mar, 2010 PhD Program in Department of Cultural Anthropology, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo.
- Apr, 2002 – Mar, 2004 Master’s Program in Department of Cultural Anthropology, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo.
- Apr, 1997 – Mar, 2002 Undergraduate courses, Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Tokyo Metropolitan University.
- Bachelor of Sociology(Mar, 2002 Tokyo Metropolitan University)
- Master of Arts in the field of Cultural Anthropology(Mar, 2004 The University of Tokyo)
- Doctor of Philosophy in the field of Cultural Anthropology(Oct, 2011 The University of Tokyo)
Teaching experience and affiliations
- Apr, 2005 – Mar, 2007, Research Fellow of Japan Promotion of Science(JSPS)
- Apr, 2010 – Mar, 2012, Post Doctoral Fellow of Japan Promotion of Science(JSPS)
- Apr, 2012 – Mar, Assistant Professor, Department of Culture and Tourism Studies, Rikkyo University
- Apr, 2015 – Present, Associate Professor, Department of Culture and Tourism Studies, Rikkyo University.
- Apr, 2008 – Sep, 2010, Part-time Lecturer, Faculty of Human and Social Studies, Saitama Institute of Technology.
- Apr, 2011 – Mar, 2014, Part-time Lecturer, Kyoto University of Art and Design Faculty of Art and Design.
- Oct, 2015 – Mar, 2016, Part-time Lecturer, Kanazawa University.
- Sep, 2017 – Mar, 2018, Part-time Lecturer, Graduate School of Arts and Letters, Tohoku University.
- Sep, 2020 – Sep, 2021, Visiting Resercher, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München Japan Zentrum.
- Sep, 2021 – Mar, 2022, Part-time Lecturer, Graduate School of Sociology, Kwansei Gakuin University.
- Sep, 2014, The Japanese Association for Religious Studies(JARS) 2014 Award for Outstanding Scholarship